Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Portrait of Vanity

Yes, Shannon has shown us that too many hours in front of the mirror can be counterproductive.Earlier I had spent a fair amount of time doing her hair in this cute twist/french braid. It was now quiet time and she was suppose to be sleeping. All my efforts were for not when she came out looking like this after having done heaven knows what to her hair, which resulted in something that reminded me of a cube puzzle. After a lengthy period of time I told her she'd have to sleep on it and we'd try again later or cut it off. I let her sweat over the possibilities for a while.After a brief nap we got right back to work. A phrase my mom would say whenever she curled my hair kept replaying in my mind, "It hurts to be beautiful." I might have even said it to Shannon at some point, but I've blocked those hours from my memory.

This small crisis has a happy ending. I'd like to think it was my cunning problem solving skill that helped me to visualize a way out of this labyrinth of tangles, but really, it was luck and probably a silent prayer or two from Shannon that she would have to have her hair chopped and look like a boy.

7 comments:

dishka said...

Umm WOW! The fact that you were able to document the situation tells me you were FAR more calm and collected than I could have ever hoped to be if one of my girls did this. I love the sweat it out approach too! I'm glad your mad hair skills paid off and you were able to release the comb from it's wicked web.

Sarah (and a few others) said...

I am impressed. I don't think I have ever seen a comb so embedded in hair before. If that had been Hannah, we would have both been in tears by the end.

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

Yikes, poor girl, my girls have done that numerous times, they are slow learners. Hopefully she wont do it again.

Laura said...

i'm feeling really happy right now that i only have boys!

lindsey gruwell said...

ohh poor shanny. Hey, you could've told her you couldn't fix it, then you'd have an excuse to cut her hair the length you want. Good job working that thing out.

noelle said...

oh, my darling melissa. this may just be my most favorite post ever. the fact that you would make her sweat it out for a bit was the true clincher. you have true mama style.

Araksya Kennard said...

Melissa, I love how you teach the kids to "suffer the consequences". I can imagine how painful it was for Shannon to have that comb finally out of her hair. Just tell her she is already too gorgeous, she doesn't have to mess with her hair or anything else!