Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Emergency Preparedness

= preparing for the worst but hoping for the best

Weather is a weird phenomenon.
Two things can happen.

Either 1) there’s minimal fuss and then BAM! huge, gianormous, catastrophic devastation…or

2) Maximum, full throttle hype followed by…nothing.
Sure, I had heard that the largest blizzard in 30 years was on its way, but I couldn't shake the memories of a few weeks earlier when Steve and I planned a day trip to Chicago with Shannon. A weather prediction of icy rain was in affect. But until I saw it, I wouldn’t believe it. Woke up bright and early…nothing. Drove to Chicago…nothing. Played around the city and drove home…small snow flurries. The end.

What did I fear from a potential monstrosity of a blizzard…cabin fever. More specifically, childhood cabin fever. More specifically…Adam. The energy of a split atom. Or in our case a split ADAM. Get it. Oh, that was bad. Anyways…moving on.

But, we are told if we prepare we shall not fear. In an attempt to exhaust the energy reserves of my 2 year old…we crossed the mighty Mississippi and descended into Moline, Illinois…home of John Deere. Tractor country…aka Adam country.

For 2 solid hours I protected these iron machines from my boy. But honestly, it's a tractor...how much damage could a 2 yr old inflict? I didn't want to find out.
He received a few warnings from the volunteers, but in the end, I think his “tank” was filled and we both went home feeling fulfilled in our endeavors.
Oh and in this story, the weather man was right.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

That place looks amazing! What a fun time for your little man.

Sarah (and a few others) said...

I love the picture of him inside the bulldozer-scooper-thing.

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

That is just awesome, he looks so happy!!

La Familia Young said...

I bet Adam had the time of his life! He's so cute! And I know all about cabin fever... I'll take the kids out rain or shine... they must get out!!