I had heard about the impending storm for over a week. When the locals get scared…I get scared.
No, that’s not true…I panic!
I made Steve stop for milk. We already had 3 dozen eggs in the fridge and a fresh loaf of homemade whole wheat bread as well. We raided two Redboxes plus the local library for DVD’s. Shannon school enacted early dismissal. Steve came home from work at 3pm. We ate pizza, swam in the hot tub, watched movies…and waited.
When the snow began to fall, I could feel my stress level rising. I didn’t know what to expect. It didn’t help that I was constantly checking the internet and every homepage mentioned the Midwest being slammed with a blizzard or the people buried in their cars as they attempted to drive home.
Blizzard. A word I had heard before but never fully understood… until today.
Swirling snow.
The word “blustery” came to mind…which Steve informed me was not really a word, but
I swear I read it in a Winnie the Pooh book long ago. Regardless of its validity, it seemed to sum up the scene that was unfolding before my eyes.
But, I had to sleep.
When I awoke, I looked out the window with hesitation; utterly afraid of what I might see.
Now, I have a fairly active imagination. However, remember that I had never experienced a blizzard before. In this case, my imagination failed to prepare me.
Loser
The scene before me was indescribable
…unimaginable
…white.
Where was my mailbox?
Where was the car?
I think that's it.Why was there a white curtain hanging from the roof?
What was this?
Oh yeah, my first blizzard.
Steve began an attempt to carve his way to his car while I spent an eternity outfitting the kids in snow pants, hats, gloves, scarves, socks, boots, etc.
After we cleared our driveway and helped a neighbor do the same, I took a quick walk to the grocery store for some guacamole. Yes, guacamole. Something tropical. Something on sale. Something to get me out of the house. Steve made an appearance at work, grabbed a few projects and clocked out before the roads began to freeze for the evening. At home and we homemade snow crème and salted caramel sauce while we congratulated ourselves on surviving our first of many blizzards. Salute!

5 comments:
Wow, that is one thing I don't miss about snow. All the shoveling. I am sure the kids are loving it though.
Wow that is alot of snow! We got a huge dump a while back and every one I knew that shovled was getting sore from all the lifting. All the kids were so excited to play in it. Find a good hill and send them down it!!!
W-O-W I have never...how does that much snow happen in one place?!?!?
We got 5 inches here in Alabama a few weeks ago and school closed for a week. A WEEK.
I am so proud of you guys- you are true "Iowans" now! ( not sure of spelling )
I love your perspective! Way to make the best of it! Shannon looks like she's thriving!
Post a Comment