Thursday, October 29, 2009

Center Stage

We survived this years primary program....barely.

practiced for weeks - check

had part memorized - check

wore the longest dress Shannon owns WITH bloomers - check

But all the prep doesn't mean much when you are sitting in the pews, helpless, hanging your head in shame as your almost 5 year old puts on what can only be described as a theatrical extravaganza for your fellow brothers and sisters in the gospel.
It started with a few harmless waves (everyone was doing it), then went a little cutsie with a thumbs up here and there. I Love to See the Temple brought a few non-church endorsed versions of Shanny sign language accentuated with some eye crossing. Upon seeing an increasing amount of panic on our faces, she moved onto the show stopper...think Stevie Wonder in a Sound Booth = eyes closed, head cocked bobbing from side to side, enunciating every possible syllable. Audible laughter throughout the chapel and visible tears of shame from her mother. With the exception of a kid who couldn't keep from laughing as he attempted to say he would try and listen to his parents and the kid who held the final note 15 seconds after the chorister ended the song and motioned the primary to be seated, I think it's safe to say we had the most people come up to us afterwards, complementing on Shannon's exuberant personality and thanking her for being "that kid" which makes each and every primary program memorable.


Practice makes perfect, right? But no body's perfect so why practice! Especially when they ended the way things did. This is how it WAS practiced and I should have seen the writing on the wall, shouldn't I?

9 comments:

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

I wish I could have seen that.

Micaela said...

Jayden: That was funny mom!

Man I love that Shannon of yours! She has such personality and spunk! I was cracking up just imagining her up there! hilarious!

Tina said...

I think Shannon and Alyssa would be great friends. Aly pulled some of those same stunts in our Primary program. You are not alone!

Araksya Kennard said...

Melissa, I loved your description of Shannon! It was really funny to watch her do that! She cracks me up!

lindsey gruwell said...

ha, what a ham! The primary program is a time where no one ever falls asleep during church. How could you with that kind of entertainment!

La Familia Young said...

I was laughing so hard while reading your post... If it makes you feel any better, I am PRETTY sure I will doing some entry in MY blog about Camilla's primary program in just a couple of years. At least you know you practiced and did that could have been done. She's such a cutie!

BiblioBags said...

Oh, man! That video is so funny. I'm still laughing at the enunciation of "BUT"! She is so cute. But, I have a feeling that I'll be that mother in 3 years if Charlie keeps up his antics. He pulled his pants down in front of about 15 people at church on Sunday . . . for a laugh. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Maybe we need to start a support group . . .

noelle said...

"BUUUT" (finger wave)... awesome. i love this girl.

Kayleen said...

Hee hee! Shannon, can you come to our primary program NEXT year? We didn't have any big laughs.