Nursing Adam has allowed me to be apart from him for limited amounts of time. However, since he has become mobile, his patience to sit and nurse is almost nonexistent. It's as if he's afraid something extremely important might happen in the 5 minutes he would be eating. Plus, he's keenly aware that in the time it takes to nurse, he could have shoveled in half a pizza, so why bother? Sure, part of me is sad to say goodbye, but let's face it, Adam hasn't looked like a baby since he was 2 months old, so I've come to terms with the fact that he is growing up. But what is he exactly? A toddler...maybe. But he can't walk. So maybe he's a "special" toddler.
Adam Bomb can pound 8 0z in 3-5 minutes. I'm thinking of getting him one of the hats with a can on each side and a straw. You know what I'm talking about.
Anyways, point being, I haven't been many places by myself in ages. Thanks to a wise decision made 8 years ago, I have a wonderful husband who took some time off work so I could go to Memphis alone. In actuality Lindsey isn't suppose to be around germy kids and since Adam has discovered to joys of splashing in the toilet and eating leftover cheerios from under his high chair, it was more of a necessity that I keep the kids away from my immunosurpressed sister.
I spent a little over 48 glorious hours doing everything and nothing with Lindsey. Mom had driven to Nashville to rendezvous with Dad, which meant the "kids" where home alone. So, what do you do when your parents are out of town?
1)Knit. We went down to the craft room to work on Adam's letters for his room and some sweet little ladies were teaching how to knit. In the end they were disappointed with my progress, but I'd been up since 4:30 am, driven 5 hours and was starving. My scarf is still a work in progress.

2) Attend an ice cream social were we met up with the Ivies(our old Memphis neighbors who's daughter is now a patient at St Jude and was on the transplant floor the same time as Linds).
3) Drive over to Ronald McDonald for two dinners (always tastes better when someone else cooks, doesn't it?).

4)Find a cute scrapbooking store for paper to complete Adam's letters.

5) Steal some sewing projects from my sisters house since she was out of town. We stuck around and found a cute spot for a rug she didn't know where to put. Hope you like it Mel! Oh and I owe you an Oreo pudding snack pack. Thanks, it was delicious.
6) Watch Bend it Like Beckham and countless episodes of House Hunters International (note to self, don't buy an apartment in Paris unless you have over $700K to spend)
7) Skipbo. Man am I rusty. I didn't win a single round until just before I left.
8) Love Lindsey's undivided attention. When you're with Lindsey, you know your in the presence of greatness and I like to brag that I'm related to her, because to me that means I might have a chance to having a little bit of that greatness in me.
5 comments:
Melissa, I loved this post! You always have me cracking up! Adam is a tank!! How is it possible that someone like you SO small produces a child like Adam?! oh yeah, steve! haha!
It's good to see lindsey, I am glad that you two got some time together. She looks great.
Awww...I feel your heartache with Adam dissing you. Skip did the same to me around 10 months old. I guess I was too boring for her. That was probably one of the toughest dumps I'd ever been thru. But really,I think you married Mr. Incredible and you all have super powers. Why don't you tell us what they are! Just make it up if you have to. You're a creative writer...I challenge you.
Ok sorry I totally went off topic. How absolutely fantastic sisters are! I don't know what I would do without mine. It is always so refreshing to be able to spend sister time together. No matter how short. I am tickled for the both of you for your short bout of freedom from kids, to relish your sisterhood!
How wonderful to spend some quality time with Lindsey...alone! Love the pics of Adam...could he teach Alyssa to not be interested in nursing and to drink from a bottle...please? I'm excited to be uninteresting (although I'm sure I'll have one or two VERY small moments of sadness)!
So glad you were able to spend time with Lindsay. I see you guys in pictures and stuff, and it makes me wish I had had a sister. I mean, I love my brothers to death, but there's something else when you have a sister.
Adam is such a cutie! What a big hunk! By the way, I loved your "Progression or Nakedness" post. So true! Camilla does not like running naked.. Maybe shorts and diaper off, but she usually likes having a shirt on!
Great pics!
haa, maybe adam will be the next kobayashi(however you spell that) to earn his living. Thanks for coming to visit...man we were wild ones with the parents gone. And, you speak way to highly of me, makes me need to step things up.
Post a Comment