Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Sweet Escape

I really do love Chattanooga.
A short 2 1/2 hour drive north and I'm home.

When Steve got Friday off for the 4th of July, we loaded up the Honda, some friends, some food and went to visit Papa. The weather was exactly what we needed (cool and low humidity). A visit to the Bread Basket for cinnamon rolls, Aretha Frankenstein's for blueberry pancakes, Coolidge Park for a splash in the fountains, a walk over the Walnut St Bridge to burn excess calories aquired at places previously mentioned, fireworks viewed from the Brow, a swim at Cathy's, Mtn Opery for some deep south bluegrass, s'mores on the screened in porch, and time with Papa rejuvenated the soul but made it hard leave. Not to worry... we'll be back soon.
You're never too old for Coolidge.
You just don't appreciate the foutain enema's later in life.


Shannon looks like she is in a deep conversation with the fountain.

Shannon makes friends a little too easily(it slightly scares me as a mother)
It was hard to break up this twosome.

I keep asking her where my baby Shannon went? Who is this little lady?

Steve created a pyromaniac. Burn baby burn is Shannon's new motto.
She loved staying up with the grown up (watching fireworks and eating s'mores). But her partying ways caught up with her and she threw up the copious amounts of treats and snoozed all afternoon.
Lightweight
The cherry on top...Papa
(who suffered a cracked patella (knee cap) from a work related injury shortly after this pic was taken. Take it easy Papa. No pulling weeds this week)
Oh, you might notice Papa's shirt. There have been many laughs about my O'Bama t-shirt ops. Unfortunately it was too small for Steve so I passed it onto my dad who loves a comfy t-shirt. However, Mom might toss it in a political fashion protest. Still, totally worth the $1 I paid.

8 comments:

lindsey gruwell said...

ohh chattanooga, just love that place. Can't wait to get back-this town is kinda a drag and SCARY. Shannon's smile is so pretty. Can't wait to see the kids someday. Glad you got to see papa and spend time with him. love and miss you

Tina said...

Shannon is such a beauty!

I love Chattanooga too! There is just something special about that place. :) Mmmmmm.... The Bread Basket. I love their cream cheese muffins.

Dana said...

You made me miss Chattanooga! I totally need to come there and visit. Oh and by the way Happy Anniversary! I can't believe its been 8 years! That's awesome!

Unknown said...

Shannon IS growing up! Aww she looks older. And you are right...those fountain enema's are NOT something I would want to revisit. But the kids don't seem to mind at all. I hate that i missed you guys while you were in town. I was out of town being BORED to tears.

La Familia Young said...

So Shannon makes friends rather quickly uh?? Mabe it's a Gruwell thing! Camilla loves dogs.. adores might be a better word! She goes to strange dogs (big, little, you name it) too.. very scary for me! Anyhow, looks like you guys are having fun. Good for you! And I;m glad you and Steve had a little getaway.. I love those! Take care!

Araksya Kennard said...

Shannon looks very beautiful in the pictures. It always amazes us how smart she is. And Adam is this cute innocent looking boy.
I am glad you had a lot of fun with your family. No leaving us for a while, ok?!

noelle said...

happy anniversary!!!! and chattanooga... the bread basket. i told my parents they need to start a bread basket franchise up there in pennsylvania.

BiblioBags said...

Fountain enemas . . . LOL!