It took a little over a month, but I think we've finally settled into our new rental home. While I still have a longing to own our own home, that time will come. For now we are basking in our additional square footage!
I'll admit the first few weeks were a little challenging. After almost a month in Memphis, I drove home with the kids on a Sunday, only to turn around Monday and start the move. Progress was slow due to a certain 10 month old who was feeling a little off balance, understandably. He had just mastered sitting up and was beginning to explore the world of crawling, then BAM! he's back in Birmingham. Ah, home at last...my own crib. Finally. Then BAM! New walls, new house, no Shannon to pick up my pacifier after I chuck it from my crib in a fit of rage! Only constant is Mom. I'll find comfort in being near her 18 hours a day, be it in her arms, standing by her side and holding onto or legs, or planted between her feet regardless of her task (this made cooking very scary). I am happy to report that, after sticking to a schedule for the first time in months (although it has meant sacrifice to Shannon and my social lives) Adam is a well balanced, happy boy who can play by himself for short increments and now naps longer because mom isn't swooping into his room every time he wakes up crying in fear that he will wake up his sister (they used to share a room).

I'd like to think I'm the kinda girl where money can't buy happiness. But, for a few extra bucks a month, we've added an additional bedroom for Shannon to spread her Polly pockets out and I don't have to worry about Adam ingesting Cinderella's bridal shoes, a garage to fill with junk, and a bigger backyard with my dream herb garden. In short, it was totally worth the countless trips around the block (we moved a total of .6 miles from our 1st Birmingham residence) with the cars filled with laundry baskets of whatever we could stuff into them. 
Live is good.

5 comments:
Congratulations! No shared walls with strangers is definitely something to celebrate. Very cute house and amazing backyard! We miss you guys.
Looks like a great house! How fun and the backyard looks amazing. I'm totally in agreement with you...a few extra bucks a month is totally worth letting the kids be in separate bedrooms. While we were in temp housing I refused to put the kids together because of the fear of waking each other up (their sleep schedules are much to precious to me). Alyssa slept in the walk in closet (it was huge)in our room! :) I'm glad Adam is doing better!
I am trying to get to your pesto article but it didn't open, probably after publishing you made up your mind and took it off?! Anyway, I wanted to tell you how much we both loved the lemon basil pesto you and Shannon made. It was delicious!! I still have some, and I am very excited about it! Thanks again!
I agree, you're house looks cute. Good backyard with space for shannon to practice her soccer skills...or just her dance skills. Glad Adam is back on track. Glad you now have some quite peaceful time with the kid sleeping and playing alone for 5 min.
looks like heaven to me. or close enough. And i soo remember the days of cooking with a toddler on each leg. I remember that vividly...those were some of the worst years of my life. But thankfully I have evolved...or maybe the kids have evolved. man, I sound ungrateful don't I?
Post a Comment