We get inquiries all the time as to our housing situation. “Are you guys going to buy a house”…a reasonable question considering the amount of time we’ve been at my parents. Let me lend a little insight into our madness. It all started July of 2007…
We’d been looking at houses but kept feeling like it wasn’t the right time. This made NO sense considering the housing market was in our favor. Shannon and I went to Utah at the beginning of July to take Lindsey out to college. After returning home Steve and I were outside working on a project when he shared some insight he’d gained while we were gone.
First revelation…he thought we should have another baby. Nothing earth shattering; we’d been talking about it for a while.
Second revelation…he needed to quit his current job and take one that we’d been considering. Again, nothing I couldn’t accept.
Third and final revelation…the reason he needed to take the new job was to have the time to study and prep for returning to school to get his Master’s of Health Administration. Let the crying being! “What! Go back to school? You promised me we were done! How many degrees do you need behind you name?” You get the idea of what was running through my mind.
So for the past year Steve has been quietly taking the GMAT, completing an independent study accounting class (in addition to working full time and being in the bishopric), and being one of the first accepted into a top 10 MHA school. We’re heading to Birmingham (yet another city I’ve lived in but never thought I’d return to). Since we can do nothing without adding a little chaos to the picture, I’m due August 14th, which happens to be the same day as Steve’s first class. Now, Shannon was due the day of a tax final and blessed us by coming a little early, so we hoping for the same from Junior. I’m whispering “July 29th” to him daily and am planning on a routine of long walks and Mexican food starting at 37 weeks.
As much as this derails me 20 year plan, I cannot deny the divine inspiration and help that has been given to us. I’ve learned to not say where I want to settle because the Lord has lead us to some random places, and they’ve all been exactly where we needed to be.
#1 Reason to have Children: Entertainment
14 years ago

8 comments:
Good luck in AL. I can't wait to see when your baby comes!!!!
You are a good wife. Looking back, it will look 20/20, don't worry. It will work out the way it's suppose to. Maybe the next revelation will be to move to Denver:)
Oh, Melissa, how I feel your pain! Inspiration is sure an interesting thing. It sure seems to get us in interesting pickles all the time, but it all works out in the long run. We have learned to say when the Lord commands, do it, and keep a smile on your face. We're in a lovely one ourselves right now. Best of luck and I'll be praying for a late July baby. Enjoy your hot and humid walks! Love ya tons!
oh, melissa! well, at least you have a husband who works really hard for his family and does a great job of balancing everything. so birmingham! at least it's not too far from home. plenty close enough to make trips back home, namely during finals week. :)
Yes, it's good you've finally come to grips with the fact that we have no control whatsoever. Paige was born in the wee hours of the morning of one of Shane's big finals. Tyler was 7 days overdue and I hadn't even had 1 one contraction when I was induced. (ouch!) He'll come whenever the heck he wants to, and it will be great! You'll have fun experiences in whatever city you are moved to. Hang in there!
If you want him to arrive around the 29th now would be the time to throw a dance party with Shannon and try a few of your old cheerleading moves! It worked everytime for me!
Everything will work out with your move. We'll be thinking about ya.
Aretha Frankenstein? I've never heard of that place either but it's my list for my next visit!
Good luck with delivery!
Go Birmingham! That's a great city! So, Why the heck did our husbands go to law school???
I do hate that you guys will be leaving. maybe things will turn out in a way that will bring you guys back here.
Post a Comment