I would first like to thank those who have made this entry possible...
- Laughing during a late dinner with the entire family seated together
- Early morning walks with Shannon as we played bubbles on my toes in the surf
- Holding hands with Steve while snorkeling above a shipwreck
- Reading a book/sleeping while lounging under and umbrella on the beach
- Watching Shannon's eyelids flutter as she drank her 8th banana daiquiri and experienced toddler nirvana
- Shannon and Steve picking coconuts outside our door
- Dancing on the beach with my sisters
- Watching my dad steal kisses from my mom
- Seeing Steve FINALLY get a vacation and not be able to use his cellphone!





Third, there was never a dull moment. I couldn't get enough of the pink tinted sand and turquoise blue water. By the way, February is the PERFECT month to travel...not too hot, not too cold. While snorkeling we saw a shipwreck, sharks, stingrays, etc. Dad learned to sail and was an excellent captain (I just couldn't stop singing the Gilligan's Island song in my head though). Melanie and I took the kayak out over several reefs. A tour of the Island led us to the spot where Christopher Columbus first landed in the Americas. Our family had archery competitions and Daniel smoked us all. Shannon loved the magician that visited our table most meals.

Fourth, just after graduating high school, my family went to a Club Med in Eleuthera, Bahamas. I've wondered over the years if I'd idealized my Club Med experience because it was my first real resort/beach experience. You know, like when you go out to eat and have something that is amazing, then go back later and it just wasn't as good as you'd remembered? Anyways, I now realize that I hadn't put Club Med on a pedestal...it really was and is that amazing. I don't fully endorse many things, but I LOVE CLUB MED. Examples...
- Upon our arrival to the San Salvador airport we were greeted with cold water, a cold/damp wash cloth, and whisked away to the resort where our luggage was delivered to our rooms after we were given a fruity beverage and tour of the resort.
- The bucket and shovel waiting for us in our room that we later used to build sand castles.
- Beach towel service - if your towel gets wet or sandy, just go to the little hut and exchange it for a fresh one
- Someone brought you fresh fruit while you lounged on the beach
- The view from our balcony
- Always at least 3 huge water bottles in your room, replaced daily
- I'd noticed someone flying a kite, one call to reception and we were flying a kite on the beach within 20 minutes

- The FOOD! I tried escargot, frogs legs, conch fritters, ate pineapple at every meal and even learned to make their famous white chocolate bread at one of their many workshops. One day we had a grill out on the beach, another day we went to the seafood restaurant and had lobster, another day to the Brazilian one and had meat cut off the skewers.

- Open bar...and for our family that meant sipping unlimited pina colada, mango, strawberry, and banana daiquiris on the beach.

- A nurse on site to help Shannon with her constipation, Steve with his plugged up ears, and Lindsey with her allergic reaction to sunscreen.
- Aubrey dropped a room key through the deck planks...no problem, no charge.
- A live band to greet you as you entered dinner
- The sand was combed every morning (can't have bumps in my sand), and seaweed removed and bagged
- We checked in for our return flight and checked baggage AT the resort (while Shannon sipped her last daiquari)


So thank you Mom and Dad for memories of a lifetime, and even better, a family forever.

13 comments:
What a great trip - I'm jealous looking at all the pictures and I was there! It was great to spend all that time together as a family.
I'm sooooo jealous I could cry. But I'm glad you guys got to get away, you sound like you needed it. And I'm just curious if the potty training went out the window.
WHAT! Even Arizona's 80 degree weather right now can't compete with this. Someday we'll take a resort vacation. . . someday!
As we're under another winter storm warning today, I can't help but HATE you. :) However, I am SO GLAD you got to have a vacation with Steve. It looks like it was a great trip!
What an amazing trip! I love looking over the pictures over and over. It will be hard to beat this trip. I had so much fun with you and the family.I'm glad that you guys had so much fun too!
I remember you raving about Club Med when we lived below you at BYU - I am so glad it was everything you remembered. Your vaction sounds like a visit to paradise! What beautiful pictures.
PS - What ever happened with the trip you won on Regis and Kelly?? I still think of you guys whenever I see that show!
fun, fun, fun!!!!! LOVE the pics. absolutely gorgeous! and you my dear, are just too cute... :)
hey, by the way, did lindsay landrum ever email you? she looked me up on facebook and she sent me some redbank high school link and there's talk about a reunion? anyway... let me know if she emailed you... oh and dana was also talking about flying up there in may... i'll have to see how much dinero i have left over with all these trips we have this year--this time with THREE kids. oh so fun. sigh... why can't we just have one year that no one gets married, no one wants to do a family reunion, no one wants to move to mexico... haha. love you.
HOW FUN!!!
What an incredible vacation!! I am so envious!! How lucky you guys all are.
You really do have awesome parents. Even if they DIDN'T take you to the Bahama's.
I have always loved your family!!
GREAT pictures!
Looks like you guys had a blast!!! I am glad that you guys got some well deserved R and R!!!!
So everyone has pretty much said what I could say. Although I think Club Med should pay you as thier advertiser. You could convince anyone to save and go to the resort!!!
Oh Melissa! I must confess, I am more of a smokey mountains girl, but you make me crazy for the beach! And to go with all your family, how wonderful- your bit on perfect moments made me want to cry. I'm so glad ya'll went!
looks like jarom and i met up with y'all at the wrong place. i guess international market you really meant bahamas! looks like a blast.
Post a Comment