Saturday, February 16, 2008

Dare I Dream...(warning, viewer discresion advised)

1st attempt

I consider myself a reasonable person. I have an education and have completed many of my goals in life. Who knew that I could get so exstatic about...poop! For those of you unaware, I have been attempting to potty train Shannon for over a year. I quit two times previously and here is an example of why... one day I was explaining how the body is always filtering our blood and that some people's kidneys' don't work so they have to have dialysis. Well the next day Steve was trying to get Shannon to go tinkle and she told him No because she could get a needle in her arm and would not have to go tinkle. My 3 year old would rather face dialysis than go potty!


2nd attempt (I stopped taking pictures after our 2nd attempt. I feared I might fill our memory book with "attempts")
Anyway, the other day Shannon was yelling that she had pooped, so I prepared myself for another clean-up, and lo and behold...she had put herself on the potty and pooped. I started jumping around like a monkey, clapping, and making a complete fool of myself (and dreaming of the money we would save on diapers). Who knew that I would one day be so over the moon about poo poo in a potty. Just goes to show sometimes your expecations in life change...and that's ok.
Note: It has been two weeks since this incident and besides a few minor accidents, Shannon hasn't worn a diaper during the day. I hope I don't jinx us by telling everyone.

11 comments:

Dana said...

yea! we are so happy for you! Really, as a mom who is about to enter the world of potty trainng, I know victory when i see it! Or should I say smell it in your case? either way, I hope you many days of clean underpants in your future.

Christi said...

First of all, those are awesome pictures. I so see Reagan doing that. I am so glad that she is doing well in the potty training area. Keep it up Shannon.

Kayleen said...

Great job mom! By the way . . . the snow wasn't in Arizona, it was in Utah. Just for your info though, we can visit snow like that in Arizona about 2 hours from our house. Surprising, isn't it!

Angie said...

YahOOOOOOO!! I'm so excited for you. I haven't attempted to try again, yet. But I think very few kids get it the first time.

Micaela said...

Happy Day!! Jayden has really only been potty trained since October so I am still reveling in the feeling! Congratulations!

The Hall's said...

Hooray for Shannon! And, I would definitely add, Hooray for You! I think you might deserve the bigger victory dance. Maybe you'll avoid Dialysis after all. What a funny girl. I love that you were explaining Dialysis to a 3 year old. You gotta love nurses.

Beth Davis said...

First of all- congratulations on a successful potty training. I dread the day I start to potty train Tucker! I also loved how you were explaining dialysis to Shannon. They have to learn sometime right?!?
Second- You are soooo sweet. Thank you so much for your comment. I wasn't even expecting anyone to read that post because it was so long and then I get an incredible comment like the one you left. I just had to thank you:-)

Unknown said...

Wonderful stage isn't it? She just trips me out with her "i can get a needle in my arm"! Too funny!

I "potty "T for about a year around the same age. But once I gave up....he did it on his own. I think they do that just to get our goat. ; )

noelle said...

it's amazing the things you do and say once you become a parent. like the other day, i overheard bruce telling luke, "i NEED to see your poo-poo."

it's kind of phenomenal, really.

Pitcherpost said...

well, i didn't believe it, but now that I've witnessed it with my own eyes! Congrats, you deserve this after all your hard work!

Beth said...

Congrats! I can't believe the amount of potty talk that occurs around the house once kids are involved. I laughed because I was getting ready to post about our latest potty adventures too when I saw your blog - too funny!