Sunday, May 10, 2009

Life in the Pitts, Part 1

The newest Steelers' Fan!

Sienna Miller recently shot a film in Pittsburgh and labeled the town S***burgh (never have been a fan of hers) , but my sister Melanie, who has been living in the city for the past 4 years, seems to be on a new adventure every week.Mel's House

My philosophy this year is to embrace the experience. Unfortunately Ms Miller missed out because of her narrow minded views. Pittsburgh was a crazy, wonderful city and I'm very glad I decided to impose on my sister 2 weeks before she moves because I would have missed out on so many adventures. Shannon felt the same way about Pittsburgh and smiled from the moment the plane landed to the moment we took off (with the exception of a few instances I will recount later)
I guess I could recount this one now. While at the Strip District Mel's Subaru died. After sliding the AAA guy (who was there changing a tire 2 cars down) a large $5 bill to jump the battery, we puttered and prayed all the way to a few blocks from Mel's house where the car gave out at the base of a hill that looked like this one.
Amongst the chaos of emptying the car of our valuables while Zach pushed it to the side of the street, Shannon fell out of the car and scraped her knee. It was past nap time and Shannon was already feeling a little on the emotional side. Thank goodness for Melanie, who encouraged her as we all attempted to hike up the monstrosity that Mel calls her street. Houses in Pitt are a little too close for my comfort

This is a view from the car while riding up the world's steepest street, which is a few blocks from Mel's house. After experiencing the failed attempt of the Subaru that couldn't, I was more than a little nervous riding in the tiny rental car loaded with people. But all's well that ends well and now I can add driving up the world's steepest road to my list of adventures. How the kids spent most of the week.
It was great when we were in the Subaru with All Dogs Go To Heaven playing constantly on the DVD player, but when the Subaru went to the shop, so did the DVD player and the children had to turn to each other for entertainment. Melanie and I had flashbacks to our childhood as Aubrey purposefully annoyed Shannon and Shannon responded with hypersensitivity and tattling. We were never like that were we Mel?

When we left Birmingham, the temp was in the mid 80's with humidity off the charts. Upon arriving in Pitt, we were met with cold rain. Thankfully Mel hadn't packed up Aubrey's fuzzy footy PJ's and lent Adam a pair or two. He felt very pretty in pink.

But he didn't exit Pitt without leaving an impression on Aubrey. Suddenly, at nearly 2 years of age, Aubrey now needs a pacifier to go to bed. Sorry Mel.

Melanie's gun show
Pitt had an effect on me too. My sister Melanie can't sit still. She tricked me into going with her to one of her weight lifting classes. After attempting 45 minutes of pure lunges, she had to scrape me off the floor with a spatula, but not before I could lift my head up and say, "I HATE YOU!" I think my pride hurt more than my tush as I was out pumped by 2 very pregnant ladies. But besides being able to out pull up her husband, Melanie uses her unlimited energy to create. I love my nursing cover and when Mel figured out how to make them, I had her teach me when she took a break from sewing her 3rd purse (check out her blog to see the super cute bags...she'll make you one for a price).

We took over the dining room table and forced everyone to eat on the couch after thread started finding its' way into the food.


In the end I made a total of 6 nursing covers because JoAnn's fabric was just too stinkin' cute.




My brother in law Zach, who graduates from dental school in a few weeks, had an extra whiten ting tray and suggested making me some imprints. I'm more than trilled with my ever growing pearly whites and would like to thank Zach for his services as well as being willing to participate in this blogging moment.
Life in the Pitts, Part 2
Out and About in Pitt
Coming Soon

3 comments:

dishka said...

*sniffle* I miss home! Those hills are everywhere in my old neighborhood. That and brick roads...oh yeah and GIGANTOID potholes! hmm Im suddenly reminded that I don't have any Steelers paraphernalia for this baby...gotta fix that!

You HAVE to show me how you made the nursing covers. Specifically the bendy part. Your fabric choices are AWESOME!

Glad you had fun, looking forward to more pics and stories!

lindsey gruwell said...

Looks like you guys had fun. And, I never knew mel lived on such a steep hill. I've heard about these streets, but seeing a picture bring a whole nother meaning to it. Cute nursing covers! I'm so jealous about you getting your teeth whitened. Look forward to part 2.

noelle said...

nursing covers... stylish and chic. but i never bothered with covering myself up. shameful, i know. but it's just so hot! btw, i'm glad you pumped it up with a little les mills. as for the singing... it just can't be helped. you hear a beat, you start to move, and there's no telling what will come out of your mouth. many embarrassing things for me have started out this way...