Sunday, April 26, 2009

Paradise...A SHORE Thing

Not a bad way to spend Easter.

What a crazy week. My parents originally booked this fabulous beach house with the intentions of a big family vacation and to get Lindsey some sun during her spring break from BYUI. After Lindsey relapsed a few weeks before we were to leave, it went back on the market with hopes that someone else would rent it. 2 days before our time slot was to start; still no renter = pack up the kids and head to the beach. Melanie and Aubs joined us for the first few days then took off to Memphis to find a house and visit Lindsey. I spent the remainder of the week as a single mother in paradise. The burdens I must bare.
Sand Angels (a Southerner's version of snow angels)

Lunch on the beach everyday. Added a little non-nutritive crunch to everything.

The biggest challenge of the week...finding a way to keep sand out of Adam's pacifier.

When we were heading home from the beach because Adam was having a meltdown, Shannon note, "I wish I didn't have a little brother so I could stay at the beach."


But what a cute little reason to take a break from the beach.

The classic building and destroying of sand castles was a daily activity.

The sun really drained the kids. Even with a morning nap, Adam fell asleep on the beach almost everyday.


Shannon started a game called "bubbles on my toes" last year in the Bahamas and continued the tradition this year, even without the unlimited pina coladas.

I thought once Adam tasted the sand, we would get a cute picture that would be it. But he kept on eating and eating and eating. It supports my theory that this boy will eat anything.


Our friends, the Robinettes, sent Shannon Easter polly pockets as well as this bunny house. She did a great job of building and testing the quality of the products.


But just a fun was demolishing the houses and "cleaning up" the remains.
The Taco Bar had awesome shrimp tacos as well as a photo op that Shannon actually asked for a picture in.

Rosemary had an endless supply of cute stores, including this toy store with the same name as Grandma Gruwell aka Gigi.


Frost Bite had endless combos of shaved ice, including this one of chocolate custard topped with pineapple upside down cake.

We had gelato for dinner one night.

Breakfast at Wild Olive.


The town has as many sidewalks as it does streets. Why drive when you can bike? Of course the first day we went on a long bike ride (downhill with the wind on our backs one way (hey, we could do this all day), up hill with the wind catching the trailer on the way back...did I mention the 60 pounds of kids I was pulling?)


We stayed in the cutest house, complete with a private pool and carriage house. Shannon now wants bunk beds for her birthday.

My new goal...own a beach house on 30-A (the "country" road that runs along the beach). I think this one would be a good starter home.

13 comments:

Christi said...

That looks like so much fun!!!! Great pictures too. I think that would be the perfect starter home for you guys :)

lindsey gruwell said...

Love the pictures! Everything looks so pretty and nice. The kids look cute! And that house in the last picture..that's my dream house too. I saw that house when I went to the beach with the Wards 5 years ago. I have a picture of it in my photo album from the beach trip! This proves that we are too alike.

Sepp said...

I wish we could have come and kept you company. The photos are great, the Florica panhandle is so amazing. Nice house too, definitely a perfect "starter" home.

dishka said...

Looks like you had a blast!! Makes me miss the beach, but not the sand! I have what can only be described as a sand phobia. *shudder* But you guys sure do make it look fun!!

And we were wondering who that was outside of our summer home snapping pictures...

Angie said...

WOW!! Looks like a lot of work:) I thought the house was the one you stayed in!!!! Call me next time you have a beach house with no renters!!!

Araksya Kennard said...

You have a great photographer! It looks like you had tons of fun. The kids are so cute. You are amazing to ride a bike with the kids on the back!!

Laura said...

i love rosemary beach. that's where jarom's brother jared lives. the whole little village is so much fun and family friendly. oh, and i love how adam's shirt can't seem to make it's way all the way over his cute tummy!

La Familia Young said...

Ok so you are making me jealous!! I wanna go to the beach too! I'm glad you had a good time, and that Melanie could come and join you guys. Adam and Shannon look adorable as usual... so he took a nap everyday at the beach uh? LOL. Poor guy! Must have been worm out! Thanks for the pics!
Take care!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

W.O.W.

I feel like I've been on vacation now, looking at all those fabulous pictures. What a great week!

melanie said...

I love your post title, it's so catchy, it should be on a picture frame or something :)

that was a fun and tiring and short little trip. I'm glad we got to hang out and see such a neat little area! I'm craving me some shrimp tacos right now...

The Hall's said...

So that's what "country" homes look like these days eh? Sign me up....actually, I'll pass...I don't want to clean it. Looks like a wonderful vacation. That white sand beach looks like paradise!

noelle said...

i have nothing to add to these admiring and insightful comments already here. it looks so dreamy... love beaching it. can't wait for ours, although... is mexico still on you guys' list???

Unknown said...

I love that you are always taking pictures, Even as a single mom on the beach you stop to capture the moments. And your pictures are getting better and better. Melanie must be giving you tips or it's in your blood. What a fabulous beach vacation. You know, I only live a few hours away..you could have called me to have an extra shoulder to cry on while you were alone. ;)