Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake

AND WE DID!As Enrichment Leader I'm trying to beef up our clubs. So what better club for me than a cooking club? Last month's theme was soup, but this months was CAKE! It have me a good excuse to try out some recipes I've been dying to make but haven't been able to justify an entire cake for my little family. Coconut Cream Cake was prefect for the Easter season. It had just enough coconut flavor and texture but didn't take away from that cake feel.Second offering...Double Chocolate Malt Cake with Cherry Vanilla frosting. I adapted it from a cupcake recipe from the Ultimate Recipe Showdown. Another adaptation...I downgraded it from Double chocolate to just Chocolate when I forgot to add the mini chips. Oops, gotta goof up at least one time per recipe. The cake was good, but I don't know if I'll make it again.Finally, the 5 Minute Cake demonstration. It's a microwave individual cake and reminds me of the ones you can buy in the store. However, I would decrease the time to more of a 3 to 3 1/2 minute cake as I like mine more gooey and less spongy.It was a fun treat to have cake for lunch, but after sampling 8 cakes, dinner was very light that night. (Araksya is so focused on the deliciousness, who can blame her?) Adam was reunited with his girlfriend, who loved him until he cried. The girls just can't keep their hands off of him.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm so sad I missed it! I should definitely be around for the next one! Adam will be a heart breaker for sure!

La Familia Young said...

Those cakes look soooo yummy!!! I should expand my cake knowledge (AKA Pillsbury cake mix...) and start making some REAL cakes! I'm glad you had fun!

noelle said...

i was going to start a no-sugar diet for the next couple weeks, but... might have to postpone. a big slice of the double chocolate malt cake with cherry vanilla frosting, por favor.

Araksya Kennard said...

Hey Melissa, when did you manage to take that picture?? I was having to much fun eating the cake to notice the photographer!

Angie said...

YUM!!!!

melanie said...

I'm glad your cooking club is going well! A cake focused night is a good idea. You look super skinny in that first picture!

The Hall's said...

All I can say is "YUMMY"! Are you going to send me some?