Friday, April 15, 2011

Valentines Day

Bare with me and keep repeating the phrase, “Better late than never” or “we love Melissa in spite of her copious flaws. To love her is to love all of her, including her inability to post in a timely manner.”
Now, don’t we both feel better?

Valentines Day…the day of love. Amore. Sugar. Red. Doilies. Cards.

Where to begin? For me, it was breakfast. I’ve check out the cookbook Gale’s Brunches no less than 3 times from the library and couldn’t find a reason to make chocolate waffles…until now. So the menu read as follows…

Chocolate waffles topped with vanilla yogurt and strawberry freezer jam accompanied by a Clementine Izzy’s beverage in a fancy cup with a fun straw. Forgive my ignorance…is Izzy’s technically a soda? It’s mostly fruit juice, but carbonated none the less. Oh, well…what’s done is done.

The differences in my children were radiating…Shannon = ate her entire waffle, and then some…but stated that the juice was too spicy and barely touched it. Adam = started drinking and didn’t not remove the straw from his lips until ever last drop was in his round belly…then ate 2 bites of his waffle.

The rest of the day was routine,..until I told the kids we were heading to Target for some errands. Yes, we went to Target, but then to Steak N Shake for dinner.

In writing this post I now realize that too much of our lives revolve around food. But, in my defense, we rarely go out to eat so it did make the day more memorable.

*please note the first reason we do not eat out often is for financial reason. However, a close second is Adam's behavior. Steak N Shake was almost to fancy for him. To be embarrassed in a Steak N Shake...a new low.

Steve purchased each of us a card. My card read as follows...

I got a gift

something ever so small

it's just what you wanted

nothing at all!

...with a return receipt for a pair of earrings. When I looked him square in the eyes that morning, he knew I meant it when I said, "No spending money!" Apparently Steve was the first person ever to enter a jewelry store on Valentines Day to make a return.

Have we ever been normal?

2 comments:

Awesomest Andersons said...

I love Steak'n Shake! I never tell John not to get me anything b/c he might just listen. I usually say something like "You have a gift waiting for you" so he knows to avoid an awkward moment.

Araksya Kennard said...

I miss you guys!!! I can't say anything else!