Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We have arrived.

Yes, we're in Iowa.
Yes, we LOVE it.
Yes, it's different.
But different is good.
Lindsey was kind enough to voluntarily make the drive from Chattanooga to Davenport to save the sanity of the Hodgens. We managed to sneak some local activities in amongst the unpacking, organizing and painting.
Iowa is...
proud of their pork. Bacon scented candles are just wrong. But the bacon band aids were tempting.

Yes, those are cinnamon rolls the size of your head.

The Midwest is the best.
John Deer is next to our chapel. Adam's in heaven and must sit upon every tractor he crosses.

I've lost count of how much corn we've consumed.
Let's just say that we're not tired of peaches and cream corn.
(the secret is to boil it in half milk/half water with a pinch of sugar and no more than 3 minutes! - straight from the locals, I swear!)

I hate the smell of card board. In typical Hodgen moving tradition, it down poured while loading up , thus leaving the heavy scent of wet cardboard on all items in a box, in essence - everything! My only creative outlet was the freedom to pick paint colors for the kids rooms....which was a first for me. Not quite as easy as anticipated. After 3 sample colors, Lindsey and I set up a lab and got to mix'n, painted a piece of cardboard, marched to Lowe's determined that this was it and they matched our home brew perfectly. I believe we went with the blue farthest to the right.
Painting took a wee bit longer than we had budgeted, but in the end there was pride in our crisp corners. Not that Adam, in his two year old flurry of activity, will ever care or appreciate. But I'm happy....and when Mama's happy....
The green, if you were wondering, is Benjamin Moore Dill Pickle. Love it!
Sadly, Lindsey left us and we're still unpacking, organizing, and cleaning. But we have taken a momentary pause from the chaos to enjoy activities ranging from the local farmer's market to a road race called the Bix7. Steve scored some pity VIP tix (a coworker was driving them to a meeting, barely missed killing Steve and felt a kinda bad) so while 15,000 people were doing this
We were staying dry in a tent stuffing our faces with orange ricotta crepes and ham (remember, pride in pork).
Ugh, I don't want to post this pic, but it was all I had. Please note that I had walked blocks in the pouring rain and discovered that my hair can resemble a french poodle.

Shannon's ticked because she requested copious amounts of eggs (while refusing to do a taste test to determine if she might actually like them), discovered they were yucky, requested a muffin, and was refused until she ate her eggs.
We managed to drag our lazy bums 5 feet outside the tent into the rain to see the Olympians cross the finish line and regret that 7th crepe I had eaten. Adam sat upon Steve shoulders, mainly to keep him from running away, and became a favorite of the camera man, thus making his first TV appearance in Iowa. We're just hoping the camera didn't catch our frustrated faces as our 2 year old had meltdown after meltdown. He's not a fan of rain.


But he is a fan of balloons, which I hate because they are everywhere. Especially at road races and since we were VIP, and VIPs are always right, I took some from the tent to quiet my toddler. You can see how wet they, and the kids, became.
Ok, that's all I have to give now. I took on a project, painting Shannon's room, that I'm in WAY over my head. High probability I'm going to hate it, but I gotta give it a try. We miss you!

10 comments:

La Familia Young said...

LOL. I love reading your blog. Bacon scented candles just sounds gross. Have fun exploring Iowa!

lindsey gruwell said...

oh bless you...finally after 1 month, you update! I was wondering if I was going to have to put my own post up for you on the blog so people knew you were still alive and well. I'm so glad you're liking Iowa! I'm going to have to call you about Shannon's room? The idea sounds cute! Glad I could come visit you guys aand visit a new state. And Rosa, the bacon scented candle was HORRIBLE...it stayed ingrained in my nose for hrs after...barf

Angie said...

Finally, I was really wondering how you were doing. I should have just called. I'm glad you got to paint because it always makes you feel at home even though it always costs more and takes longer then you think:) Lindsay looks great! Does she get to go back to school this fall? My sister is going to Jerusalem but they may be in the same place come January. Thanks for the update, and good luck with the 2 year old. I know how you feel.

Araksya Kennard said...

The house looks good, and the colors are great!
I miss you guys, but I am glad you are enjoying Iowa! Please keep posting so we know what's happening with you all! Love ya!

Dana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana said...

Wait did I read that right, you LOVE Iowa?! Hip hip horay! Glad to hear it. I thought after your absence you went into some kind of dramatic depression and I wasn't going to see your adorable kids faces anymore.

Bacon.....its one of those things that people just love, I think it should be a food group in and of itself. Only kind of pork my son will eat. Take more pictures, update more often we need our Melissa fix.

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

I wish I was closer, I would help you paint, I love to paint. You all look good, we miss you too!!
I am glad you are enjoying Iowa, think positively!! Looking forward to more pics soon.

noelle said...

this post just makes my heart happy. can't even tell you. i wish i could help you paint! or at least take the babies so you can get your stuff done! can't wait to see pics. bacon-scented candles... bile rising in my throat as i type. but the ginormous cinnamon rolls??? be still my heart. i may have to trek it your way soon... forget these greasy quesadillas.

The Hall's said...

Hooray! You're alive and loving Iowa! That's great. Glad you've already discovered the John Deere Tractors. You better take Adam to the John Deere museum...you'll never get him to leave. Unless they've changed it over the last few years, it is free. It doesn't get better than free.

Good luck with the painting. Can't wait to see pics of the project!

Unknown said...

You're a MEAN mommy to force her to eat those eggs!! ;P I love the pickle color! And i so know what you mean about painting being a JOB! I took on Tanner's room a few weeks ago and it took me several days! I'm such a dork. and so over painting.