Sunday, June 27, 2010

Channeling my inner 12 year old

2 post in a row about me...what is this world coming to? (fear not, many many post of kids shortly to come)

First an foremost, all camp directs get a one way ticket to Heaven. Amen! A moment of silence for them. Amber, you are a saint.
Saint Amber and Me

Second, I never thought I'd spend my 9th anniversary at Girls camp or with Steve in Iowa for that matter. But none the less, the stars aligned and I found myself as the camp nurse to 90 Young Women recently.
One word. Hot.
No, two words, Flamin' HOT.
*A special note for all who attend girls camp in the future...the nurse has 1st class accommodations all the way. Air conditioned room, in shower suite, steps from the pantry, no duties but to nurture, etc. So least you've started feeling too sorry for me, you can stop now and save your energy.
I had been warned that my inner 12 year old girl would emerge. Maybe it's the whole "when in Rome..." syndrome or possibly mob mentality, but somewhere along the way I found my hair in pigtail braids, no make-up, a dew rag like bandanna on my head, prepubescent breakouts, a desire to jump in a lake, eating 5 midnight milky way mini's just before dinner (OK, maybe that wasn't a stretch from the Melissa we now know), making crafty necklaces out of bottle caps, etc. I regressed so far as to forget I had two young children at home and shimmied up a 20 ft ropes course, down a zip line, learned how to belay, and repelled down a 40 ft tower on more than one occasion.
Yes, this harness does make my butt look big, but very few escape it's wrath.
But it's all fun and games, until somebody gets hurt. Sure we started off with the mellow dehydration, heat exhaustion, and ticks. But as camp progressed, so did the injuries. Multiple instances of bee's being trapped beneath flip flops, head injuries from climbing mossy waterfalls (really, you didn't see that one coming?)
This is my "seriously guys" look and Amber's "monitor and adjust" look
but my favorite....glow stick juice to the eye. Unfortunately most of these injuries occurred during free time or after sunset, which meant I was actively treating until 1 am and my walkie talkie was always on.
The weirdest instance of all...me having a fabulous time! Aside from the constant sweat and lack of sleep, I came away rejuvenated from having a chance to use my nursing skills and tons of girl talk.
Check out my mad pancake flippin' skills.
This griddle will one day grace my kitchen.
Please note the fly strip hanging over my shoulder to the right...note all the millions of black flies.
You got used to them, sort of.

I do have one suggestion for next year...it's a month called OCTOBER!

7 comments:

Young Baldwin said...

I will second everything you said about camp. And HEY! You don't have to be 12 to like it(says the 15 year old...)Lots of adults go to work the ropes course. See! The ropes course is the BEST part of camp! Did you do the pamper pole? I would have LOVED to see that.

Christi said...

I love this post. I was the camp directory for the past 2 years for our ward. It is a lot of work but the inner 12 year old for sure comes out in you! I am glad at least there weren't any trips to the ER for ya!
I agree with the month of October too!!!!

Pitcherpost said...

Well I am proud of you and your ropes course skills! It's fun huh? And you look like one of the campers by the way! Which isn't a bad thing. But seriously, girls camp in the southern heat, bad idea.

Araksya Kennard said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun, so I won't feel too sorry for you :)
I am glad it went well, and why not, had an unusual and adventurous anniversary!!

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

I bet you had a lot of fun, I wish I could have gone to Savannah's girls camp but Donovan was out of town.

noelle said...

i can't even tell you how much i love this post. i mean, this is like YOU in a nutshell. i can just picture it. because i know that 12, 14, 16-year-old you sooooooooooo well. ah, i miss you. but this is what i love about you, meliss. you're always up for adventure. me lo encanta!

Unknown said...

Btw I read this on my phone way back when and i couldn't leave a comment! Camp was great wasn't it? What do I have to do to get you back for 2011? FOR REALS!!!! You rock like no other!! I think we'll all die if you're not there. literally. so you don't want that on your heart do you?