The roads of heaven are lined with pewter. A must to travel when you know a local. No sign. Had to ring the doorbell to gain entrance to the best kept secret in town. Noelle said it was because the store didn't want the neighborhood to know what was hidden behind the ornate wooden doors, least there be some theft. Room after room, wall after wall, shelf after shelf. I think Noelle took a nap while I browsed and punched the calculator dozens and dozens of times converting pesos to dollars so I could have an idea of what my bill was racking up to be. My usual shopping philosophy is buy now, ponder the purchases, return later. It's really a survival tactic with kids. However, when you have 1 hour in the most amazing store Mexico City you have to exercise restraint least you buy everything in the store. I purchased all my goal items...platter, salad bowl, decorative modern bowl for coffee table, etc. But now I have buyers remorse...remorse that I didn't buy more! Oh well, such is life.
The afternoon brought a trip to the traveling open market...only in this location on tuesdays. It was depressing to see the passion fruit that Steve so deeply desires and not be able to pack a suitcase full (a little place I like to call CUSTOMS doesn't think that's a good idea and I would like to return to the homeland, so no passion fruit). It was food heaven...fresh figs, baby zuiccini, mexican pastries, fresh cheeses, and hands down the worlds BEST mangos every. They let us sample anything and I would have chomped through the skin of that mango if I had too. I bet it's like eating an apple. We came away with 8 mangos, figs, cheese for enchiladas that Elisa the maid needed for dinner that night, and a few illegal items that I won't mention but that were only 20 pesos each...I bought 5.
A night in Mexico City is not complete without a visit to the taco stand around the corner. I was particuallry windy and the tempature was dropping, so we opted to drive to what has to be the worlds most amazing chicken quesadilla's. A little old lady pounds fresh dough, slaps in on the grill, stuffs it with chicken and cheese...now this is when you turn away and don't watch...slides it into the oil to fry, then finishes it off with salsa verde, a think sour cream, queso fresco, cilarto and onions = all for 13 pesos or 1 dollar.
A night in Mexico City is not complete without a visit to the taco stand around the corner. I was particuallry windy and the tempature was dropping, so we opted to drive to what has to be the worlds most amazing chicken quesadilla's. A little old lady pounds fresh dough, slaps in on the grill, stuffs it with chicken and cheese...now this is when you turn away and don't watch...slides it into the oil to fry, then finishes it off with salsa verde, a think sour cream, queso fresco, cilarto and onions = all for 13 pesos or 1 dollar.

0 comments:
Post a Comment