Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Hunt

...is ON!

It all started with the fear being put into me during the cold snap a few weeks ago.

by the way, it may be 60 degrees now, but I'm still chilled to the bone.

Am I the only one experiencing phantom cold syndrome?

I was bundled up, out and about one night, throwing obscenities like frick and shnikes as I ran from my car to the grocery store, when I saw a reader board flashed 13 degrees and was instantly grateful that my little angels were bundled up, snug and warm in their beds.

But then it hit me...

I'd been checking the weather, in Iowa, everyday.

Iowa high 5, low -13.

Ah crap (please excuse my potty language)! Seriously. I was freezing my buns off and it didn't even reach 13 degrees in Iowa today... not even midday, when the sun was blazing overhead.

I was going to die.

Which leads me to today...another day on the hunt.

I stalk the internet in search of winter clearance sales in hopes that I might purchase some parka with enough down to keep my little angels warm in Antarctica. But a parka alone won't ensure their survival.

No way.
They need gloves, hats, and mittens. Oh my.
Oh my indeed. It adds up fast, even on clearance.
But it IS a commandment to feed and CLOTH our children. And it has been said that "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." My shopping is nothing more than me fulfilling my divine role as a mother.
Will you remind Steve of that as he pays the credit card bill? Thanks.The fruits of my labors.

NOTHING cuter than a toddler in snow overalls. NOTHING! Adam's new logger's cap ALSO served Shannon on silly hat day at school.

Multi tasking. I'm trained as a nurse...it's what we do.

10 comments:

Dana said...

Next time i"m at the children's place, I'll look for you some clothes! What are thier sizes? They look really cute! Love shannon's face.

Tina said...

Wow, reading this post makes me glad to live in the South. I thought it was getting too cold here, but I will complain a little less now. :)

lindsey gruwell said...

well I think you did pretty good with Adam. you're kids make the funniest faces. Haa, love shannon's silly hat/face. You know there's always a place you're welcome to down south if you need a break from the winter :) (just wish it wasn't so far away)

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Iowa. Brrrrrrr. My warmest sympathies.

Araksya Kennard said...

I love Adam's look! I hope you can all stay warm and healthy in Iowa. If you make up your mind, you can always come back to us!

BiblioBags said...

You said "buns" . . . hee hee! I don't know why, but I just bust up laughing at that word in that context. I love your blog. You are so hilarious!

But, oy vey . . . I can't imagine those temperatures. After 30 degrees, to me everything is just cold. But I can't imagine negative degrees!!!

The Hall's said...

Just don't look at the temps in Iowa...you know it's cold...you don't need to know how cold!

The great thing about it is that after negative degrees and lovely windy days....20 degrees feels balmy. Truly. Sadly, you get used to it!

By the way, Annalisa's info is headed your way! Hope she gives you lots of good info.

Brooklet said...

Hey Melissa, this is Brooke (Melanie's friend from Pittsburgh). We are moving to AL in the summer and I just wanted to pick your brain about what some good areas to look for housing in (we are only there for two years so we just plan on renting). We have talked to some of the residents in his program that are there now and they suggested Hoover and Rossbridge areas. If you have some good advice on those areas or any others that we should be looking in, I'd love to know.

Our oldest is in elementary school, so we really want to make sure the area we move in has a good public school.

Any advice would be great. You can email me at brojonel@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Unknown said...

Bradsdeals.com Great online deals posted daily! Did most my Christmas shopping through that site.

I think you should have everyone gain 20lbs of blubber for heat purposes!

noelle said...

ay. all the clothing and putting on of clothing before heading out the door in freezing weather. this is why i can never live in a cold place again until my kids are old enough to dress and zip and tie and button themselves up in winter wear.