Sunday, October 26, 2008

October Outtings


Even though I feel like I do nothing, I seem to always be busy. Here's some things we've been up to...

We are lucky to have a friend who is a 4th year dental student. We made an appointment during his pediatric rotation. Shannon cried for days because her appointment wasn’t until Thursday. What kid cries because they CAN’T go to the dentist? Once we got there she refused to open her mouth (go figure). But once he brought out the pink spinning tooth brush, she was game. Ironically we had told her we were going to the dentist to make sure she didn’t have Jafar (Aladdin) teeth, but the fluoride treatment stains the teeth yellow for a few days and she looked more like Jafar after the appointment.

Steve’s enjoying UAB and did great on his midterms. He’s had his hospital reports displayed on “the door” several weeks in a row (it’s an honor and Steve’s wit shines through). He spent last Saturday shadowing the head of Anesthesia and looked hot in his hospital scrubs. He looks completely dazed because he was there for the start of the shift (5:30 am)...I took this picture when he got home because I wasn't about to get up when he left that morning.
Shannon’s dentist appt was at UAB so we met Steve for lunch at the Pita Inn. On my continuing quest to eat at all 50 greatest local food finds, the Pita Inn is known for the chicken pita. I’ve been craving falafels (a result from reading A View From Garden City), so I forced Steve to get the chicken pita and we all shared. The food guide didn’t fail me and I picked up a take out menu so Steve can bring it home when a craving hits. Shannon loved it all (which is shocking).

Our outing to pick a pumpkin and have a hayride was postponed due to rain(again). So I grabbed my friend Araksya and we headed to the Birmingham Museum of Art for the Da Vinci exhibit. I had chill bumps as I saw several of his sketches (Dana, you would have LOVED IT). Shannon, on the other hand, smacked one of the drawings. That’s my girl…disrespecting the masters. Araksya watched the kids later so that Steve and I could go to the temple…then she fed us when we got back! She’s a lifesaver and has been wonderful (this week were practicing whole wheat bread and working on my 72 hour kits)

I’m in love with this website Steve stumbled across. It has festive recipes that are easy and my entire menu has been from it. Yummy Pumpkin Pecan Belgian Waffles, German Apple Pancakes (Shannon and I had them for Brinner (breakfast for dinner) when Steve ditched us to go to Atlanta for a guys night with Adam (Riches, not Hodgen). Here’s the Apple Pizza Shannon helped me to make. She also released some aggression by pounding chicken.
Here's the website. http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/
Don’t go to it unless you have sometime to look around, because it will haunt you until you do!

In Adam news…he’s growing! Shannon was thrilled to feed him his first bottle (we’re practicing because my mom’s coming to visit and Steve and I are going on a DATE!!!) He’s cooing and what better way for him to voice his opinions then for you to hear them yourself.

7 comments:

lindsey gruwell said...

Yea, a new post! I love the picture of shannon giving Adam a bottle. What a cutie! Shannon is such a big girl, going to the dentist already. Relate anything to a princess and shannon will believe it.I'm going to have to come and join you once you've explored all the top restarants.

noelle said...

okay, i loved loved LOVED that video of adam! i was seriously grinning like an idiot through all 33 seconds. and when he heard your voice, turned his head and spotted you... ??? melt my heart! that adorable smile. he's so sweet. almost makes me wanna have another. almost.

La Familia Young said...

Oh boy that video almost brought me to tears! He is adorable! And Shannon helping you in the kitchen.. can't wait till Camilla gets there! I'm glad you guys are having fun and keeping busy.. busy is better than bored! Great pictures. Will look into that website. I am always looking for new recipes (In other words, Hunter is always asking me for new recipes!)

Anonymous said...

Now all the married men in our fam our wearing scrubs. I was impressed at first, but now would love to zach in ANYthing else but scrubs. I bet your dental student friends are the super fun people, we do tend to be the coolest.

Angie said...

His cheeks are bigger then his head!!! Porter doesn't have that anymore. It's so cute to hear his little voice!! I'm glad Steve had a good time, Adam came back wiser, that's for sure:)

Kayleen said...

He's so cute Melissa! . . . I'm referring to Adam, not Steve. I'll leave that vote up to you! I went to the full DaVinci tour when it came through Memphis and I thought it was great!

Sepp said...

Love all the new photos. The kids are cute as ever and it looks like keeping you busy.