Sunday, February 7, 2010

How I get my kicks...

First of all, is anyone one else cringing upon receiving your gas bill from the cold snap that hit a few weeks ago? Ouch. Major Ouch. My condolences to you too.


It was this major ouch that reminded me of how I, this Alabama, stay at home mother of two, get my kicks...but first, a little background info.

Less than a year ago...
I was at a baby shower happily munching on the best homemade salsa and being introduced to Bakerella's heavenly cakebites when I happened upon a group of young mothers engrossed in an intense conversation.
Hmm, intriguing...commence ease dropping.

But, wait, what were these words they were throwing around....ECB, stacking, B1G1, and free? Wait, I knew that last word, free, and I liked it. Instead of heading back to the refreshment table, which I did later...many times, I casually inquired about what they were talking about.

Couponing. Wait a minute, isn't that like an early bird special ie. my grandparents generation thing? I had to stop my eyes from rolling just as the phrase, "Green Eggs and Ham!" thundered in my head. I was a big fat hypocrite. How many times had I shouted "Green eggs and Ham" at Shannon as she stubbornly refused to taste a new dish that I knew she would love if she would only take a bite. Don't knock it till ya try it, sistah.

After procrastinating a few months and a few gas bills like the one I just received, I finally typed in the address http://www.southernsavers.com/ , secretly downloaded a coupon program onto my printer, and printed a few advised coupons to Publix. Now, one of the greatest reason for my procrastination, aside from pride, was that Publix is a good 25 minute drive the OPPOSITE direction of all my travels. Plus, it's the most expensive grocery store around. But again, I could knock this process all I wanted ONCE I had tried it.
And try it I did, and was hooked! In addition to the wonderful race car shopping carts and free cookies from the bakery that kept the kids happy, I experience such a rush.. yes, I said the word RUSH, from walking away from the store with free icing, a six pack of yoplait Dora yogurt for $0.69 and a box of granola for a dollar. I thought Elvis, the bag boy, was going to tackle me on the way out shouting, "You robbed us woman! Get back in there and say you're sorry." But he never did, and I went back the next week with a new pile of coupons and have been adding to our food storage ever since. I wonder if people look at me sometimes with my Nabisco's graham crackers or Tyson chicken nuggets and think, "That girls a student. Bet she can't stop living like they were when her husband was a lawyer. She needs to learn what generic means." But this thought makes me laugh because I probably paid less for my brand name Kraft mac n' cheese that she did for her Aldi's knock off (not to dis Aldi, they are overall the lowest prices, but I can never remember to bring my own bags).

Oh dear, now I'm one of those girls at the baby shower. Lesson learned, again...don't knock it till you try it, then eat it with some Betty Crocker potatoes that you got for $0.07.

Here's a pic of what I got this week for around $30 (note the free French's mustard and chip dip.)

After attending a coupon seminary Thursday, I realized a few mistakes I was making, so I can't wait to see what I can horde next week!On a side note, here Shannon munching on some Challah bread (Jewish) that I made for a missionary potluck. Not too cute, but it tasted great. Baking is my work in progress.

9 comments:

Laura said...

that is so awesome. i've tried the couponing thing and it just never seem to work for me. i did the classes but yes, i saved money just going ALDI. i know so many people that get into it and get these amazing deals but you give me hope to try, try again. btw, i have mastered enough couponing to not have to shop at walmart almost permenantly. that's worth it alone!
good luck!

Tina said...

Yeah!!! I'm so excited for you! Couponing is my current drug of choice. I seriously get a high as I walk away frow the check out counter and think about all the great deals I got. Have you checked out www.couponmom.com? I don't know if it covers Alabama, but I like that site a lot too.

Natalie said...

I'm with you Melissa! You should have seen how giddy I was when I scored the other week getting packs of Pampers for $4 a pack at Target. I'm still new at it though.

La Familia Young said...

Maybe it's a bug that's going around :) I've gotten into couponing myself... I'm a very early beginner, but it feels so good to know I can get stuff for cheap. If you go to my blog, there's a section on the right side called "Going cheap." There might be something there you can use. Like card games... I got three travel size card game for 2 something dollars... should've paid 15 something instead :) Good luck and share all your secrets!

Angie said...

Adam wants me to coupon sooooo bad!! I'm a skeptic:) I use cash instead...it's statistically takes 18% off the top.

noelle said...

couponing. i've never been on board, but i could be if i lived in suburbia again. no, that's not true. i am a lazy fool. but listen, if you could just come down and bake me some of that challah bread, my life will be complete. this carb addict is in love.

BiblioBags said...

The challa is beautiful! did you like it? I've been thinking about trying to make some . . . the recipe in my book has you roll it in poppy seeds . . . yum. I love poppy seeds!

Araksya Kennard said...

Melissa, thanks for sharing this great idea. As you know I have been trying to use coupons but I don't have much experience as you do. I'd love to get more details from that class.
The bread looks beautiful!

Sepp said...

The website has been saved in my favorites. I can't wait to start using it this week and then to pass it on to all the ladies around here. Thanks a ton!