Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's my party

AND I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO...
This was the theme for Shannon's 4th birthday. It was a week long extravaganza for various reason. It all started with her school party, Nov 20th, because it was the last day before Thanksgiving break. She insisted on a pink cake.
Cake #1Then on Saturday was her party at the clubhouse. Since we were leaving for Thanksgiving and wouldn't be back for her birthday, we had to have it a week early. What a mess! She cried. She whined. She ran and hid. She wanted to throw kids out. Two words...NEVER AGAIN! Unfortunately I'd already arranged a little cake and ice cream get together in Chattanooga on her actual birthday and it was too late to cancel. That went the best of the three.

I still can't believe I made a total of 5 cakes over the course of the parties. I was pretty proud of my "pink" themed food, which included strawberry milk, pink yogurt raisins, pink rice crispy treats, strawberry and white chocolate cookies, terra chips (the veggies chips, some of them pink/red), peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the shape of crowns, crown sugar cookies with pink icing and pink "S" sprayed in food coloring, and last, pizza with "S" shaped peperoni's. I'm glad I went all out seeing as how we will NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!Cake # 2 and 3
Activities included relay races, a pinata, candy bar unwrapping contest, and sword shaped balloons for the boys and flower balloon corsages for the girls.
Someone told me later and rule that would have been helpful when planning the party...only invite the amount of kids as the age of the child. So for Shannon it would have been 4 instead of 13. Oh well, live and learn.














Cake #4 and 5 (I put my foot down and stopped with the strawberry cakes)

Shannon loved every present she received

7 comments:

lindsey gruwell said...

HAAA!! I love it! What a funny girl shannon is...I got such a kick at all her pictures, esp the ones of her melt downs. All your cakes look so pretty, esp the castle cake. Way to go on the pink theme. I bet now you never want to bake a cake for a long time. I'm glad that things went better at her 3rd party.

Christi said...

I love those pictures. I bet she had a great time even through the tantrums.

Anonymous said...

I know it wasn't fun for you, but I'm loving all the sad face pics! She has a hard life, really.

noelle said...

the photo montage of her meltdown was awesome. but all your food! somehow, this just seems like you. i remember all that loving care that went into our thanksgiving pies that one year... really, all the food we ever ate together. food is an important part of who you are, meliss. you're an awesome mom. my kids are lucky if i even remember their birthday...

The Hall's said...

I'm so impressed with all of your effort for her birthday. It's a good one to end on eh? :) I love the pictures of Shannon so upset. Those are great bribery photos for later on. I can't believe how old she is now!

Rachael Hutchings said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm extremely impressed!

Angie said...

Poor girl, emotions are hard!! Sometime you just don't know what to do with them, even as an adult:(