Monday, November 15, 2010

The look of defiance

Where have I been you ask?

Steam cleaning? Tons of it.
Why you ask?
Because of this little lumberjack. What you see before you is the look of defiance.

But he's so cute you say....

Cute, yes. But it's cute compensation. Compensation to make up for times when he's rotten, no good, or down right defiant. Times when he's being "Love and Logic'd"

That's the other place I've been.
Love and Logic classes. Loads of them.

Jim Fay, you're my hero.

What's Love and Logic you ask?
Here's the rundown. Kid does something wrong. You sing the "uh oh" song and kid goes to their room until they are sweet. Now here is where we butt heads. Where Adam struggles and I pray for the stamina to endure to the end. He's more of a "wide open spaces"/free spirit/don't tell me what to do woman kinda kid. He's too smart for his own good.
Despite the bare room he has acquired due to his inability to repress the desire to chuck every toy at the wall, he's managed to create his own form of open rebellion/protest using the only thing he has left...himself. Every "uh oh" song ended the same.... bare bum next to multiple dark puddles on the carpet.

Day after day.

But I remained calm. Sort of. And I remained consistent. Much to his dismay, the "uh oh" song continued, so little dude kicked it up a notch. Wiping his unmentionables with his irreplaceable snuggy bear. The only item that will put him to sleep. The item by which I schedule my loads of laundry around. Snuggy must be washed immediately after breakfast so as to be available for the afternoon nap. It's a delicate balance and little punk knows it. After dancing this routine a few times, I handed the paper towels over and said U DO IT! His response. "No Yucky!"
Ya think?

Tough kid, do it.
I'll spare you the details of further encounters, but it's safe to assume he kicked those encounters up a notch as well.
I thought I had him now.
But no. I was outwitted by a two year old who thinks snowmen are called cookies, frosted mini wheat's are pumpkins, and butter is honey.

Note to self...work on those before kindergarten so that he's not pegged as "that kid born in TN."
Back to reality...how does a toddler get out of cleaning up his excrement? Checkout. Mentally, physically, emotional. Pass out. Refuse to wake up when Mom taps you. Look like an angel. An angel next to a puddle of pee. Either way, it worked.

Update...after consistent reinforcement and a slight fear of the steam cleaner, Adam has chosen to keep his diaper on tight. When the words "uh oh" exit my mouth, he now runs to his room and closes the door.

Finally, sweet success. Now I can look at this face with greater love. Because honestly, those eyes are my eyes and I gotta look at myself in this mirror image everyday. I love myself.

4 comments:

La Familia Young said...

I just placed a hold on this book at my local library... anything to save me from my three 3 year old arguing!!! I agree with you, they're cute. but soooo defiant at times. Can't we all not get along here?? Sigh.. I've missed you and your blog! Glad to see you're doing well (and that your carpets are mighty clean these days.. :)

lindsey gruwell said...

I know you weren't laughing as your write this and still aren't, but that boy sure is awesome! So smart and a talker. He can say "no yucky" and look at him clean it up. Wow, I am impressed. Oh and his legs look so skinny. I have to see this man stat..like it's been too long and he is growing up without me. Ok, so how many weeks till christmas break?! BTW-those walls looks so awesome! Man whoever painted them sure got some skill.

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

Ha, ha, that is so funny, I am sorry that he is doing that to you but it made me laugh. I hope he learns to go in the potty soon!! He is so handsome by the way!!

Dana said...

Good job Melissa! I'm so proud of you for not strangling him or yourself. You stayed consistent and it sounds like it has paid off. I needed to hear this because my defenses have been down lately and I need to be reminded about consistency. He sure is cute and starting to look like his sister to me.
Is that odd? Maybe its just the picures but they totally look like siblings. Keep it up!